Plants That are Poisonous To Dogs

Did you know that there are many common household and garden plants that are toxic to dogs? In this blog, our emergency vets in Stockton, share information on the most common and poisonous plants for dogs, the symptoms they can cause, and the treatments available.

Plants Poisonous to Dogs

Lots of plants that are popular in the Stockton area can be toxic to your beloved dog. This makes it important for you to be able to recognize these poisonous plants so you can prevent your pup from chewing on anything that could cause them harm. Some of the plants that could be beautiful and safe for you might make your pooch severely sick. 

Here, we list some of the plants that you should always keep out of your dog's reach, and if your furry friend does happen to ingest any of the following items bring them to see the vets at our Stockton emergency animal clinic immediately:

Sago Palm

Every part of this plant is poisonous to dogs but, what makes this plant even more dangerous is that dogs like the smell of this plant and can enjoy eating them. If your pooch ingests this plant it can cause liver failure and potentially death.

Milkweed

Milkweed is a very pretty plant but, it can seriously impact your dog's health, causing rapid or weak pulse, difficulty breathing, diarrhea, nausea, and even death.

Mistletoe

Mistletoe is beautiful and can be found in many homes during the winter holidays, however, if you have a dog please skip this holiday tradition at all costs. If your pup accidentally eats one or two of its berries it can cause abdominal pain, diarrhea, vomiting, and drolling. In the event, your canine companion eats a larger quantity of this plant it can cause collapse, seizures, abnormal heart rate, low blood pressure, and in more severe cases death.

Oleander

This is a lovely and common ornamental shrub especially in coastal and drier regions of the states. This flower contains many toxins throughout the whole plant including cardiac glycosides, nerioside, oleandroside, and saponins. If your pooch ingests any parts of the plant it can cause diarrhea (which may contain blood), vomiting, hypotension, incoordination, breathing difficulties, hypersalivation, comma, and possibly sudden death.

Foxglove

This is another common plant that can be found in many gardens that could have serious effects on your dog although, the severity of the symptoms can vary based on the amount your pup has consumed. These symptoms can include tremors, weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, cardiac arrhythmias, seizures, heart failure, and death.

Autumn Crocus

You have to be very careful with this plant because it has a non-toxic twin of no relation called 'spring crocus'. The autumn crocus has many dangerous effects and almost every part of this plant is toxic to dogs. Its symptoms don't always show up immediately and can take several days to appear which can include diarrhea and vomiting (both can contain blood), bone marrow suppression, kidney and liver damage, seizures, shock, respiratory failure, and possibly death. Because it can take days for these symptoms to show you may not know the cause of your dog's illness. Always keep your dog close by and on a leash if you are in a yard or garden when these plants are present.

Rhododendron / Azalea

There are many varieties of this plant that can be found all across North America, however, if you have a dog DO NOT plant this lovely flower in your garden because every part of this plant is deadly and can make your dog extremely sick. Some of its symptoms are hypertension, muscle weakness, diarrhea, vomiting, increased drooling, irregular heartbeat, low blood pressure, central nervous system depression, coma, cardiovascular collapse, and death.

Tulips

Tulips are among the most popular springtime flowers in home gardens and public parks. However, if you own a dog we highly recommend skipping this plant. The petals on this plant can upset your dog's tummy and the bulb that you plant in the ground is even more toxic because it can cause depression, loss of appetite, and an upset stomach.

Some other plants that are poisonous or toxic to dogs are:

  • Ivy
  • Holly
  • Tabacco
  • Marijuana
  • Allium
  • Japanese Yew
  • Perrywinkle/ Vinca
  • Rhubarb
  • Perrenial Pea or Sweet Pea
  • Water Hemlock/ Cowbane/Poison Parsnip
  • Castor Bean / Castor Oil Plant
  • Maleberry / Staggerbush
  • Mushrooms (ones that you don't think are safe)

In this blog, we have only shared a few of the many plants that are toxic to dogs, meaning there are lots more greens that are poisonous for pups out there. Please contact our pet hospital if your pet has eaten or come into contact with any of these dangerous plants because it's considered an emergency. 

Symptoms of Plant Poisoning in Dogs

We understand it can be hard to determine which plants are safe or dangerous, so you should also be aware of the most common symptoms of plant poisoning if your pup does come into contact with one of these plants.  We have listed the most common symptoms below:

  • Weakness
  • Drooling
  • Loss of appetite
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting
  • Lethargy
  • Changes in Urine
  • Diarrhea
  • Skin irritation ( if they touch some dangerous plants)

If you notice any of these symptoms in your dog contact an emergency veterinarian because plant poisoning requires urgent care and the symptoms above can also be a sign of another serious condition. The sooner you call your vet the sooner your dog can be diagnosed and treated.

Treating Dogs After Plant Poisoning

When you bring your dog to the vet bring notes of the symptoms your dog is displaying as well as a sample or photograph of the plant they have come into contact with.

The treatment your vet provides for your dog will depend on the plant they were exposed to or have ingested because all toxins are different, these treatments could include:

  • Stomach pumping
  • Antitdoes ( if one is available for the specific plant)
  • Induced vomiting

Do not induce vomiting on your pet unless you are told to do so by your veterinarian. Always call your vet as soon as you suspect your dog has been in contact with a toxic plant, your veterinarian will provide you with instructions on what you should do to help your pet while you are on your way to the animal hospital.

If you suspect that your dog has been poisoned after ingesting a toxic plant immediately take them to our emergency animal hospital in Stockton, CA. You can also contact our vets to ask any questions you might have regarding the poisonous plants that are common near you.

We're Always Welcoming New Patients

We can't wait to welcome you and your pet to the Rosemarie Pet Hospital family.

Contact Us

(209) 957-8387